Thursday, July 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Ally!



Ally turned five on July 8! She started the day pretty funny. Whenever I asked her to do chores she would just tell me, "Mom, I'm five now." I'm not sure why five means that you are freed from more work. I've been waiting for years for Ally to be old enough to pitch in. She quickly learned my plans for her, and I have to add that she is always good to help.



During the afternoon, I atempted to make a doll cake for Ally. That was not my best hour. I learned a few lessons that day. One-you make a cake that already has a hole so you don't just blindly shove a poor doll into unsuspecting cake. I had to tell Ally that the big fissure in the back was just her zipper. Second, don't use a Barbie. Their freakishly long legs make it so you have to have a cake about a foot high to begin to make it look like a dress. Finally, leaving the decorating to the pros. I am not a cake decorator and so I finally let Ally and her friend Scott help on the cake so I could have someone to blame the "creative" results on.



Anyway, that night, we had a birthday with our little family, Grandma and Grandpa Freeman, Carolee and Amy. We had her favorite meal: chiken nuggets, french fries, chocolate milk and a toy. I couldn't complain with that one. Ally made the cutest hats for everyone, and she loved all of her presents. It was like she was so over stimulated that she opened them all and then could only focus on one gift. Pretty funny.
Overall, it was a great day for Ally and she is still reveling over being five and looking forward to kindergarten. We love her and are so lucky to have such a good kid in our home!

4 comments:

Stewart Family said...

Yeah! Happy birthday Ally. What cute pictures. So the dress cake was harder than you thought? Darn, I was hoping you would be a pro so you could help me with Kinlee's cake next year. I'm glad she had a fun day!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Ally!!! Love the cake. I can't believe you have a five year old. Your girls are too cute. A couple Saturday's ago we were talking about church the next day and Wesley asked if we were going to Daddy's church because he missed Ally. Then Timmy putting everything together in his mind said I really miss "Tayor" too. We sure do miss your cute family. We still have a month or so to get a boating trip in with the Mannings.

smileynann said...

Happy birthday to Ally! Wow, I thought dress cakes were easy, too -- I think my mom made at least four of them! I secretly thought they were kind of gross, though, because all that cake was on a NAKED dolly!

I just had to tell you -- one of Parker's favorite cleaning projects is to mop the kitchen floor. The other day, it was kind of a mess, and he mopped for 45 minutes! He did such a great job, we didn't even have anything to clean up afterwards -- except for the excess water.

Unknown said...

Did you think about popping her legs off before you shoved it into the cake. . . They come off easy ya know!!! LOL I miss ya, we should call and chat sometime. I may be coming out there this week, maybe we could get together in IF or something.

Kristina