Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Day Ally Didn't Come Home From School



The title is scary, I agree, but the actual story is just as horrible. Ally walks home with some older kids from school, and on Thursday, they came to my house and said that Ally was with them as they were walking and then she was gone. I went up to the school, and she wasn't in her classroom. We went to the office and she wasn't anywhere in the school, in the neighborhood, or on the buses. Panic hit. I couldn't even breath. I thought that someone had snatched my girl! The office secretary had to call the police. They came to the school and started getting information on my daughter. Her height, weight, etc. They asked if I could get a current picture that they could send around and put on TV. I couldn't believe what was happening. It is one one my worst fears actually coming true.
After about a half hour, a bus driver called to say that she did have an extra kid on the bus. It turns out that a teacher told Ally that she should get on the bus because Ally was by the bus lines when she was trying to walk with the other kids. We have drilled into her head that she obeys her teacher and so she did as she was told. Poor Ally got on to the bus and got scared when it started to go and drop kids off. She was afraid the bus driver would drop her off somewhere and she would just be lost, so she hid. I can't even begin to explain how relieved I was when I saw that Ally come off of the bus. She felt the same way. She wouldn't even look at the entire school faculty, the police, or the bus driver.
I guess that is a lesson for moms everywhere. You have to find a way to tell your kids to obey their teachers unless the teacher says something they know is wrong. I just wish it didn't take something this traumatizing to teach me such a simple lesson.

5 comments:

Courtni said...

Oh my goodness -- poor you and poor Ally! That is for sure one of my biggest fears as well. So glad that everything turned out okay!

Unknown said...

I read your blog yesterday and that is all I could think about! How SCARY!!!! That is a nightmare come true. You are so lucky it wasnt worse then it was. I am soooo glad you have Ally back home and everything is okay. It makes me think twice about how to teach my own children about safty. Im happy all is well!!!

Nina said...

I am so glad that Ally is safe. That is just another reason why I really want to home school my kids. Kids are always safest when they are in their parent's posession. Oh my goodness, my heart is just pounding for you. So happy that it all turned out well.

Tj said...

Meg!! Nina gave me your blog address. Glad to see things are going well for you and your family! (well other than Ally being lost, but luckily it had a happy ending) I need to get your number so we can catch up!

Tj

Wendy said...

Oh Ally, what a stunning picture of you! So beautiful and sweet! We love you! The Webb Family